Friday 29 March 2013

NYC Day Twelve Monday 8th October 2012

Day 12 Monday

Today we decided to get a picnic from Wholefoods at Columbus Circle and take it into Central Park, to see a bit of the park we had not seen yet. We found some pre-packed plastic containers with nice looking food combinations and some pick and mix cookies of all different flavours.

As we walked into the park, I tripped and fell over, I somehow landed on the paper bag full of our picnic from Wholefoods but it was all ok, the cookies were now in bits though, I had nasty cuts on both hands, bashed up knees, a fat lip, grazed nose and forehead, Carl said I went down flat :-) The people trying to sell pedicab and carriage rides and tours helped me up and helped get all the shopping together, I had to use my souvenir fold up bag as the wholefoods paper one had ripped. I was a bit shaken up but ok, we went to find a Pharmacy so I could get water, alcohol wipes and plasters (Bandaids), after first aid was sorted we ended up walking up Broadway, I got some rugelach from Zabars and looked in a Fairway supermarket where I got my Mum some gluten free Bisquick. We entered the park at 81st Street and walked towards the Belvedere Castle, had our picnic in the Shakespeare garden, we had pots of Anti pasti, mine had salami, cheese and some pickled nuts, Carl's had Grapes, Camembert and bread, followed this with broken cookies and rugelach washed down with diet coke!










After lunch we walked to the castle and saw the Turtles in the Turtle pond, climbed up the steps to the top and looked at the view of Central Park, went to the boating lake to try rowing but they closed rentals at 2pm that day, Carl was pleased as he thought I should not row anywhere after my fall.




Got on  the subway down to the Lower East Side again to buy some presents at Economy candy.
We arrived just at the same time as a tour and could not move in Economy Candy so went to Sugar Sweet Sunshine and got some cupcakes for later, I got banana and cream cheese flavour called Hollaback Girl and a choc peanut butter flavour called a Goodie Goodie for us to share back at the hotel, after this the sweet shop was quiet again so we made or purchases, then went to Il Laboratorio del Gelato, had two scoops each, Carl tried Cheddar Cheese flavour and Red Peppercorn flavour, I had Thai Chilli Chocolate and Green tea flavours. They were nice, the chilli one a bit hot, Carl said his were odd, he ate it all though.

After this I decided we should take a walk to build up an appetite for Katz's Deli, we walked to Tompkins Square Park, sat and watched the squirrels for a while, saw some black ones at last! Saw the Temperance Fountain and General Slocum Memorial and the Hare Krishna tree, walked slowly along St Marks Place to Cooper Union, looked in a shop called Trash and Vaudeville, walked back along East 7th Street past McSorleys Old Ale House and then down 1st Avenue back to Katz, enjoyed this walk and looking at all the buildings in the East Village.
Carl and I shared a Pastrami and Corned beef combo sandwich at Katz and it was so nice we wished we had time to come back again, I had an Egg Cream. went to line up at the drinks counter for the egg cream and got told off, ,how was I to know I was meant to line up at the grill counter for it, whoops again! Next was home to share the cupcakes for dessert, they did not survive the journey very well, they were half the price of Amy's but very little packaging, they tasted great though, then we walked over to Macy's and Carl bought me a few clothes including a gorgeous soft Cashmere cardigan, he had got himself a new jacket earlier in the holiday.











No comments:

Post a Comment