Friday 29 March 2013

NYC Day Fifteen 11th October 2012

Last day Thursday

Finished packing and left our bags at reception for the day, flight was not until 9.20pm from Newark, EWR. Got the train uptown to 125th Street Station to Harlem. We just had a walk up and down 125th Street, saw the Apollo Theater, had a look in some shop windows and looked at the architecture, I could not settle as it was the last day and I was getting anxious about the travelling, decided to go for a meal at The Spotted Pig in the village, I had seen their Roquefort burger and Shoestring fries on a television programme and had been wanting to try this. 
We got on the subway to 14th Street and walked down Hudson Street and along W11th Street, in the distance I could see a small line and was thinking we had no chance again and trying to work out where to go next, what I had not realized was they opened at 12pm and it had just turned 12! we got in and seated straight away and the meal was everything I thought it would be, drool!

 
After dinner we headed back to the subway and to W72nd Street, I finally got to go rowing in Central Park! And we saw loads of turtles basking in the Sun, it was a lovely close to the holiday.

The end was near, we got the subway one last time, back to Herald Square to the hotel, sat in Herald Square with a drink for a last half an hour, we probably could have had another hour or two doing something but I could not relax and was getting very anxious about getting to the Airport and all that kind of stuff, it may have been easier had we just been reversing the journey we had at the beginning but we were leaving from a different Airport and I am a worrier. Suitcases retrieved we headed for Penn Station, first thing was to find the right entrance for the NJ transit trains which as luck would have it I had passed on the way out earlier in the holiday so knew where it was, it was under the Madison Square Garden entrance, between the Eagles.

We got a ticket to EWR Newark Airport, $12.50 each, and waited in a very hot space for the platform announcement, there were escalators thank goodness as our suitcases were heavy!

It was a quick ride to EWR then on the Airtrain to Terminal B, found baggage drop ok, I knew I was too early but was glad it went so smoothly. A bit of panic because things are done differently here and I could not find security on any maps, it seems you wait for a gate number and then security is on the way there, they do it the other way round at Heathrow. Then we were sat in the departure lounge waiting for the flight and it was all over, a fantastic holiday and I was a little tearful, was glad to get home to see my cats though, want to come back now!

New foods I tried from my list: Rugelach, Black and White cookie, Pastrami, Corned Beef ( different from ours), Pork dumplings, Egg Cream, Bagels, Chinatown Custard Tarts, Cheesecake, Pickles, Bialy, Knish, Bubble tea, Gyro, New York Pizza Slice, Pretzels, Canoli, Halvah, Red Velvet Cupcake, Pancakes, Gyro, a Russian pastry and lots more, I went to weigh in at my Slimming world group today and have gained 12lb eeeeek!, it was worth it though.

The Subway was fantastic and had no problems working it out, between the map in my guidebook and the embark app it was great and I miss having a subway stop near my front door!

Most people were friendly and helpful, was offered help on the subway when I was seen checking my guide book map when we changed plans last minute.

Before I went I was worried that my excessive research may have spoilt it for me, this could not be more wrong, the research helped so much and you cannot do too much.













No comments:

Post a Comment